The large stone blocks lined up alongside the railroad tracks in front of Randolph-Macon College at approximately 307 N. Center St. were originally on a train headed for Washington, D.C. The blocks were meant to be used in the construction of the National Cathedral. The train derailed. The blocks had to be unloaded in order to get the train cars back on the track and were left behind where they sit today.
The date of the train derailment is unknown. The cornerstone of the National Cathedral was laid on Sept. 29, 1907 but construction continued until 1990.
FYI – The building behind the stones was built in 1931 and served as the home of the Kappa Alpha fraternity for many years.