The Ashland Museum will lead a tour along historic James and Howard streets ending at South Center Street and the Macmurdo house on Sunday, December 8.

Once part of the Ashland Race Course, the RF&P Railroad began residential development in the race course area at the end of the 19th century. We’ll walk along James and Howard streets, talk about the architectural styles and hear some of the quirky stories about the homes. The walk will last 60 minutes and then we’ll stop for a wine and cheese reception at the Macmurdo house – 713 S. Center St. Built in 1858, it was the home of CW Macmurdo, RF&P Treasurer, and his family. It is currently owned by Beth and Bill Harrison. From there we will return to the Museum.

The 90-minute tour will be offered at 4:00 pm. Tour begins and ends at the Ashland Museum, at 105 Hanover Ave., next to Ashland’s Red Caboose. (2pm tour is full.)

We hope you can join us for one of our tours this holiday season. The tours benefit the Ashland Museum outreach programs.

Tickets are $15 for museum members in advance, $25 in advance for non-members, and $30 at the door for all on December 8. Reservations are encouraged, as each tour has limited space.

Use our online registration form and pay by PayPal or by mail at Ashland Museum, PO Box 633, Ashland, VA 23005.

Questions? Contact us at 804-368-7314, or, or via our Contact page.

723 S. Center Street about 1900

713 S. Center St. about 1900

713 S. Center St. today