Cross Bros. Grocery began serving the community of Ashland in May 1912, under the ownership of brothers Herbert J. and Walter N. Cross. At that time, a pound of flour cost 15 cents and a quart of milk cost 9 cents. The original frame structure was located along the railroad tracks that went through the center of town. In the early years beef, lamb, veal, turkey, chicken and duck would be prepared for sale on a site near the present Shiloh Church Cemetery on Hanover Avenue.
Cross Bros. was originally mostly a butcher shop, but it grew rapidly and became an important anchor store in the Ashland business district. At one point, in the 1940’s or ’50’s, the commissioner of the revenue told Walter Lee Cross that his store was the largest volume grocery in the Richmond area. It supplied Randolph-Macon and the passenger trains with groceries and meat.(1)