Trains

After 1923 – Railroad Avenue looking north

After 1923 – Railroad Avenue looking north

Posted on Apr 07, 2010 by .

0

In 1920’s, several new buildings have appeared in the commercial district. The first building visible at the left edge of the photo, on the south side of Thompson St., is the “new” Cox Department store. Today, the Ironhorse restaurant occupies the ground floor of this building. A Safeway Grocery is on the northwest corner of […]

> More

Ashland at the Turn of the Century

Ashland at the Turn of the Century

Posted on Apr 07, 2010 by .

0

This photograph of Ashland’s business district looking south from the intersection of Railroad and College Avenues was taken just after the turn of the century.  The passenger station on the left was built by the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac railroad in 1866.  The tower supplied water for steam engines.  The freight depot is hidden by […]

> More

Ashland’s Railroad Ave. circa 1866

Ashland’s Railroad Ave. circa 1866

Posted on Apr 07, 2010 by .

0

This is a charming picture of Ashland printed in Harpers magazine in 1866 in an article about Ashland during the Civil War. Notice the tree-lined, single track through town. That would have to be the Baptist church on the left, now Hanover Arts and Activities Center. Notice the picket fences along the road and the […]

> More

Blakey’s Train – The Ashland Accomodation

Blakey’s Train – The Ashland Accomodation

Posted on Apr 06, 2010 by .

0

The Ashland Accomodation was a train that ran between Richmond and Ashland with stops along the way from the antebellum years to 1928. Its most famous crew consisted of Engineer Harry T. Perdue, Conductor Charles G. Blakey, Fireman J.W. Bush and Flagman Percy Taylor. Photo: The Ashland Accomodation Train at the Ashland wye in 1925. […]

> More

RFP Depot

RFP Depot

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 by .

0

This is the 1890s depot that was later replaced by the 1922-23 brick station on the west side of the tracks.

> More