Houses & Other Buildings

D.B. Cox Department Store

D.B. Cox Department Store

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 by .

2

D.B. Cox Department Store of Ashland, A Nutshell History The D.B. Cox Department Store was the anchor of the Ashland downtown area from 1867 to 1955. When it was sold, it was the oldest business in Ashland and was the oldest in Hanover County in continuous ownership by one  family. It was begun after the […]

> More

Hanover National Bank

Hanover National Bank

Posted on Feb 07, 2013 by .

0

On February 5, 1903, Hanover National Bank of Ashland was established in Ashland, VA (according to bank history records maintained by the FFIEC). Hanover Bank’s first home was a little frame building erected north of Thompson St., near the post office. It was Hanover County’s first bank. In 1919, the bank built an impressive brick […]

> More

Reconstruction, the Great Fire and the early 1900′s

Reconstruction, the Great Fire and the early 1900′s

Posted on Jan 03, 2012 by .

0

At the end of the Civil War, Ashland, Hanover County and much of the South were bankrupt. But, when Randolph-Macon College came to town, the town of Ashland experience a building boom. New businesses were established to serve the residents, college students, faculty and staff. When it became evident that the college would remain on […]

> More

The original Henry Clay Hotel, 1906 – 1946

The original Henry Clay Hotel, 1906 – 1946

Posted on Sep 04, 2011 by .

0

Since the 1860′s Ashland enjoyed popularity as a ‘resort community serving those weary of city life. In 1868, Randolph-Macon College relocated from Boydton, Virginia, and purchased the Ashland Hotel. That hotel was used for student housing as well as a site for school functions. The Ashland Hotel burned down in 1905 and was rebuilt as […]

> More

Ashland Post Office History

Ashland Post Office History

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 by .

0

Photo shows the “new” Ashland Post Office building on December 1, 1940. Today, this building houses private offices. The current post office, built in 1992, is on the next block just across Maple Street. The Ashland Post Office has had a long and storied history. An anonymous list found at the Ashland Post Office, shows […]

> More

805 South Center St.

805 South Center St.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 by .

0

This is how the house at 805 South Center St. looked in the late 1920′s.

> More

Slash Cottage

Slash Cottage

Posted on Apr 06, 2010 by .

2

Edwin Robinson amd the Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac Railway Company developed Slash Cottage as a mineral springs resort on land that is now occupied by Randolph-Macon College.  This 1854 lithograph of Slash Cottage mineral springs resort shows the hotel, ballroom, cottages, bathhouses, bowling alley, well, bar, kitchen and an octagonal gas house for lighting the […]

> More

Hanover Arts & Activities Center

Hanover Arts & Activities Center

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 by .

0

The Hanover Arts & Activities Center is housed in the original Ashland Baptist Church at 500 South Center Street. History:  When the Ashland Baptist Church moved west of town, the big question was, “What to do with the first church?”  No one wanted to see it deteriorate from non-use and become an eyesore to the […]

> More

RFP Depot

RFP Depot

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 by .

0

This is the 1890s depot that was later replaced by the 1922-23 brick station on the west side of the tracks.

> More