In 1899, pharmacist C.A. Barnes bought out a pharmacy owned by Woolfolk and Ellis. He established Barnes Drug Store just north of Thompson St on the west side of the railroad tracks. The facade of the U.S. Post Office storefront is visible at the right edge of the photo below.
A few years later, the post office had moved south on Railroad Ave into another building. In 1919, the original Hanover Bank building was constructed next to Barnes Drug Store in the “Beaux Arts” style, with paired columns and a classical arched window.
Although the drugstore is gone, the historic Barnes Drug building at 102 N. Railroad Ave is still part of the retail district of historic Ashland.