Posted on Dec 06, 2011 by Nancy.
These are members of the Lance and Bridle Club riding south down Virginia Street on March 24, 1940. James E. Cobb, III donated this digital image to the Ashland Museum. The tall smokestack on the left is the Randolph-Macon Utility stack that today serves mostly as a location for cell phone transmitters. The house on […]
Posted on Jan 31, 2011 by Nancy.
Secretariat, “America’s super horse” has taken the country by storm again with the recent inspiring true story movie and book. Secretariat was born at the Meadow in nearby Caroline County owned by Christopher T. Chenery. Chris, born Sept. 16, 1886, was the son of Ida and Jimmy Chenery and grew up as a boy in […]
Posted on Jan 24, 2011 by Nancy.
At some point in the 1850’s, the president of the Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Company, Edwin Robinson, established a racecourse in Ashland. The only indication left of the racecourse is in a street name, “Race Course Street” in the southwest part of town, perpendicular to the railroad tracks. Races were held at the Ashland […]