Cross Bros. Grocery 100th Anniversary Events
Ashland Main Street Association and the Ashland Museum were proud to co-sponsor the Cross Bros. Grocery 100th Anniversary celebration. The following is information about the celebration event on May 5, 2012.
Join us in honoring our favorite downtown grocery store at the big celebration on Saturday, May 5:
Here’s what you have to look forward to on Saturday, May 5th:
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm it’s the 3rd Annual Ashland Chalk Walk on the library plaza. There are still a few “concrete canvases” available. Find out more on at the Ashland Main Street Association web site
- Arrive early for the Grand Celebration to enjoy the Chalk Walk works of art. Stroll through Cross Brothers to enjoy the historic displays created by the Ashland Museum. You might just encounter some of the original Cross Brothers in period costume, and get a peek inside some restored Ford Model T’s! Don’t forget to stop and admire the new Ashland National Historic District marker on the front of the building. Also, don’t forget to purchase $25 or more from Cross Brothers to get your name in the raffle for the big prize!
- Make your way back over to the library plaza at 6:00 pm to enjoy the Wilkinson Family Band and their music teacher Jake Moore. Complimentary food and beverages will be available throughout the evening to include a Celebration CAKE! A cash bar will also be available. Commemorative posters and post cards will be available for purchase at the joint Ashland Main Street Association and Ashland Museum tent.
- At 6:30 pm Tom Wulf, President of the Ashland Main Street Association & Rosie Shalf, President of the Ashland Museum will kick off the presentations for the Cross Bros. Grocery staff and Waldrop and Willis families. Distinguished guests and sponsors will be recognized and we will find out who will win grand prize of $100 in honor of 100 years of fantastic customer service. Rob Stiles from the Ashland Foundation will present the Historic Plaque to the Willis and Waldrop families.
- And it ain’t over yet.. Starting at 7 pm, Town Manager Charles Hartgrove’s band The God Fearin’ Snakehandlers will provide entertainment until 8 pm. Enjoy the music and the refreshments!
Be part of Ashland’s history and enjoy this wonderful community celebration of Cross Bros. 100th Anniversary!
The Ashland Museum will have a table with historic photos of the Cross Brothers store and its employees through the years. We’ll also have various items for sale to benefit and support the Museum and Main Street Association, including postcards with historic images of Ashland and posters from this event. Stop by our table to see us. Pick up a Membership form for yourself or for a friend.
We hope you and your family can be a part of this historic celebration.
We hope you enjoyed the past events that led up to this big celebration:
Friday, March 30th, 4-6pm: Cash Mob @ Cross Bros. Grocery. Look for the Model T parked out in front of Cross Bros. Grocery, then come in and shop! Let’s give Cross Bros. Grocery an outstanding day of patronage by participating in a first ever Ashland CASH MOB! Entertainment provided to make this a CASH FLASH event!
April 2nd – May 5th: Shop at Cross Bros. Grocery for “1912″ Themed Specials & a Chance to Win Prizes! Did you know Oreos & Cracker Jacks also share the 1912 founding year! In honor of 100 years – Cross Bros. Grocery will be offering specials on these products and more at “1912″ prices while supplies last. Note that if you spend $25 or more – you will be eligible for store drawings held every Saturday from April 7th – May 5th. The final drawing will be for a $100 Grand Prize.
Friday, April 20th, 4-6pm: Downtown Scavenger Hunt! The scavenger hunt begins at the “new” Ashland Museum by the red caboose (105 Hanover Ave.) Visit five downtown businesses to find out what was happening in downtown Ashland in 1912. In honor of Girl Scouts founding date of 1912 – the scavenger hunt will also meet badge requirements. Read about Ashland Troop 43′s adventure on the Ashland 1912 Scavenger Hunt in this article from the Herald-Progress newspaper. After April 20th, the scavenger hunt question sheets will be available at the Ashland Visitor’s Center (112 N. Railroad Ave., open daily 9am-5pm) and at the Ashland Museum and Red Caboose (when we’re open) for everyone to enjoy.
Sponsor Cross Bros. Grocery 100th Anniversary! To be an official sponsor of the Cross Bros. 100th Anniversary Celebration – click here to see the options available. The Ashland Museum and the Ashland Main Street Association appreciate your support.